Sellers can speed up their home sale by preparing their home for inspection ahead of time by using the following tips. The inspection will go smoother, with fewer concerns to delay closing.
1. Confirm utilities are on - water, electricity, gas services and pilot light.
2. Replace burned-out light bulbs to avoid an "inoperable light" report that may suggest an electrical problem.
3. Test smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors, and replace batteries.
4. Clean or replace dirty HVAC air filters. They should fit securely.
5. Move stored items, debris and wood away from the foundation. These may be cited as conductive conditions for termites.
6. Remove items blocking access to HVAC equipment, electrical service panels, water heaters, attic, and crawlspace.
7. Unlock any locked areas that your home inspector must access. Such as attic door or hatch, electrical service panel, door to basement, and any exterior gates.
8. Trim tree limbs so that they are at least 10 feet from the roof. Trim any shrubs that are too close the house and can hide pest or hold moisture against the exterior. If necessary hire a professional.
9. Repair or replace any broken or missing items, such a door knobs, locks and latches, windowpanes and screens, gutters and downspouts, and chimney caps.
10. Make sure your pets won't hinder the inspection. Ideally, they should be removed from the premises or secured outside. Tell your agent about any pets at home.
Checking these areas before your home inspection is an investment in selling your property. Better yet, have Felix Home Inspection ensure that your home is Move-in Certified. Your Real Estate Agent will thank you!
Leave a Reply.
Felix Home Inspection
NC Licensed Home Inspector